There are many paths that a student can take with a marketing major. Marketing consists of all the strategies companies use to promote the buying or selling of a product or service. This can include operations that contribute to the creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging of offerings that have value to consumers.
There are multiple different types of marketing that one can specialize in. Below are some examples:
- Market research: gathering information from consumer groups to predict the success of a product or service
- Content marketing: the creation, publication, and distribution of content for a targeted audience
- Direct marketing: creating and distributing promotional marketing materials directly to consumers
- Social media marketing: using social media platforms to drive traffic to a company’s website while boosting overall brand awareness and customer loyalty
- Influencer marketing: working with influencers on social media to get the word out about a company’s brand
- Event marketing: planning and carrying out events to help build brand awareness towards a particular target audience
- Product marketing: the process of strategically bringing a new product or service to the market
- Digital marketing: utilizing online based digital technologies to promote products and services
- Sports marketing: focuses on both the promotion of sports events and teams as well as the promotion of products and services related to the events and teams
This is just a sample of the different opportunities within marketing. To find an internship or career in marketing, it is important to look at the different kinds of marketing and see which fields you may be most interested in.
To find an internship in marketing, one great first step would be to look on Handshake, a resource specifically for University of Kentucky students looking for internships or jobs. It would be a good start to only search for “marketing” when trying to narrow down your internship results. Then, you can continue to narrow down your search as you see which kinds of positions appeal to you the most. Below are some examples of marketing internships currently on Handshake:
- Marketing Intern for Urban Blooms in Cincinnati, OH
- Digital Marketing Intern for Vert Digital in Atlanta, GA
- Content Marketing Intern for Gild Creative Group in Nashville, TN
- Events and Marketing Intern for Saltwater Restaurants, Inc. in Fort Walton Beach, FL
- Sports Marketing Intern for I AM 3RD Sports in Lexington, KY
There are over 650 marketing internships currently on Handshake. Also, other resources can be used to find marketing internships, such as LinkedIn, Indeed, or your own personal connections.
The path to finding a career in marketing is similar to that of finding an internship. Handshake is a valuable resource for both internships and jobs, so searching on this site would be beneficial. There are other resources to use as well, such as LinkedIn, Indeed, and company websites. Networking can also help secure a position. In addition, the company you intern with may potentially offer you a full-time position upon completion of the internship, so choosing an internship with a company you like is important. Below is a list of marketing careers currently on Handshake:
- Marketing Coordinator for AlphaSights in New York City, NY
- Marketing Associate for Global Media Corporation in Cincinnati, OH
- Marketing Specialist for Ad-Venture Promotions in Lexington, KY
- Programmatic Marketing Analyst for Red Ventures in Charlotte, NC
- Digital Marketing Specialist for The Black Sheep in Chicago, IL
There are over 1,900 full-time marketing jobs currently on Handshake. Make sure to browse through some of these positions as well as use other resources to find a potential career you may be interested in!
As you can see, there are endless opportunities that one can gain with a marketing major. It is important to use your own past experiences and do additional research to find out what part of marketing may suit you best. An internship is a perfect opportunity to see whether or not you enjoy a particular area of marketing, and a career can help you expand on the certain field that you enjoy the most! If you need any additional assistance while searching for an internship or job in marketing, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with the Graham Office!