Career Advisors discourage the use of resumé templates for a few reasons:
- Templates limit your use of space for important information you want to share with recruiters.
- Using widely available templates risks looking just like a lot of other resumés.
- Applicant Tracking System (ATS) technologies are unpredictable in their ability to scan a document that contains columns, text boxes, and graphics.
In this workshop, the Graham Office of Career Management will demonstrate a best practice resumé format and show you how to make it work for your own document. We will cover:
- A general format to get the attention of recruiters in a good way without distracting from well-written resumé content.
- How to make your resumé look neat, organized, and professional using text formatting tricks beyond bold, italics, and underline.
- How to get as much information as possible on one page in an appealing and readable way. Have your resumé ready on your screen to try the formatting tips in real time!