Title: Structured Credit Data Analyst
Location: Charlotte, NC
Barings is a global investment manager sourcing differentiated opportunities and building long-term portfolios across public and private fixed income, real estate, and specialist equity markets. With investment professionals based in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific, the firm, a subsidiary of MassMutual, aims to serve its clients, communities and employees, and is committed to sustainable practices and responsible investment. Learn more, at www.barings.com.
Barings’ Structured Credit Investment team is seeking a motivated individual with strong analytical skills and attention to detail to join our Secondary Analyst Team. This individual will be responsible for conducting surveillance of a wide range of investment related data, helping to manage, improve & create sustainable, scalable operational workflows surrounding the investment management process. This individual will be tasked with working to ensure our proprietary in-house & other 3rd-party applications are well positioned to enhance the ability of the group’s investment process. This position reports to the co-heads of the Structured Credit Investment Team & is located in Charlotte, NC.
The Structured Credit Investment Team conducts analysis, monitoring and valuation of investments in structured credit securities, with a heavy focus on Collateralized Loan Obligations (CLO’s). The team tracks collateral manager risk, style and performance. The team uses proprietary analytical platforms to analyze and track the performance of each CLO including detailed analysis of the credit quality and risk imbedded in the underlying portfolio.
The Secondary Analyst Team’s primary mission is to ensure the timely and accurate flow of information from external data providers, allowing our portfolio managers and analysts to focus on the current and potential risks in each CLO and collateral manager platform. The team also works very closely with the Development Team, which is focused on the continued application improvement and support of the proprietary in-house and 3rd-party applications used by the Structured Credit.
- Work together with other members of the secondary analyst team to provide direct support to the Structured Credit Investment Team members in the underwriting, analysis and monitoring of CLO’s.
- Manage the daily flow and quality of data from 3rd party vendors; ensuring timeliness, completeness & accuracy
- Produce and support client reporting in cooperation with other team’s across Barings, especially for initial trade data and on-going investment monitoring
- Support CLO Analysts in the CLO underwriting process with initial deal step up
- Assist other team members; secondary analysts, portfolio managers & investment team analysts, with various time sensitive ad-hoc tasks as needed.
- Work with Development Team with the testing an implementation of system enhancements
The ideal candidate for this role will: have a desire to learn the CLO asset class, be able to troubleshoot & problem-solve quickly with a strong sense of urgency & attention to detail, communicate well with other members of the firm in different areas of operation. The candidate must be able to understand business requirements, investment data and concepts. This person should be a self-starter, able to work both independently and cooperatively as required.
Barings Structured Credit is a fast paced, challenging environment and the team often manages multiple time sensitive assignments and initiatives simultaneously.
Prior experience with structured finance products such as CLO’s or related systems/data at another asset manager or financial services company would be a plus but is not required.
Technology Skill Set Qualifications:
- Strong computer skills & familiarity with Microsoft’s suite of Office products especially Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft SQL
- Power BI desired
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related discipline preferred
- 0-3 years’ experience in financial services, investment management or related field
- Willingness to learn and take on challenges
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong time management, organizational & collaboration skills
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively