This job is primarily responsible for assisting with accounting operations and reporting. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, recording, classifying, examining, and analyzing fiscal transactions and preparing financial reports, interpretation of the general ledger, subsidiary ledgers, reports submitted by others, and general accounting issues. May be responsible for management of a staff, or may work as an independent specialized Accounting role.
In this job, you will:
All job duties may or may not be performed by all job incumbents, may vary dependent on assigned department.
- Protect company assets through use of judgment, monitoring internal control effectiveness, and observation, as well as maintaining complete and accurate fixed asset records.
- Assist management by supervising the operations of the accounting department; including control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Monitor and manage the company’s daily cash transactions.
- Prepare or assist in preparations of income, sales, property, and state tax returns.
- Work with manager to ensure timely and complete month end closing, financial reporting, account reconciliation, review of financial statements, forecasting, monitoring budgets, and maintains fixed assets.
- Monitor business activities to maintain compliance with laws and internal guidelines.
- Monitor and work with manager for property taxes and sales taxes, and assessment remittances.
- Work with manager in audit preparations, including preparing reports and requested information.
- May supervise and coach assigned staff, including recommendations for hiring, scheduling, training, promoting, performance related issues, and firing.
- Other duties as assigned.
Here’s what you’ll need to be considered:
Required – Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
Required – Two years of accounting experience.
Preferred – Industry specific experience, 2+ years of public accounting experience with a CPA (or willing to obtain).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; strong use of database and spreadsheet applications (Excel).
- Working knowledge of the theory and practice of accounting (i.e. fixed assets, receivables, cash processes, internal revenue code, tax, reconciliation, financial statements, and processes).
- Working knowledge of accounting and financial software programs, and automated data processing systems/programs (depending on area of assignment). Great Plains experience a plus.
- Knowledge of forecasting, statistical modeling; including variance analysis.
- Basic knowledge of sales and use tax (depending on area of assignment).
- Strong analytical skills with ability to interpret data and present findings.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels of people within and outside the organization.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills, with ability to remain flexible to changing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise oral and written reports.
- Ability to work effectively both autonomously and within a team environment.
- Ability to work extended hours; outside normal business hours, evenings, weekends, holidays.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently respond to rapidly changing environment.