At Grainger, we’re committed to our purpose – We Keep the World Working. Grainger is a leading global supplier of maintenance, repair, and operational supplies, providing services and solutions for every industry. Our 25,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways; focusing on delivering the highest level of service leveraging the most innovative solutions. As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies list.
Grainger is a leader in data driven culture and decision making. Our Analytics & Data team operates as a center of excellence helping leaders and teams across all areas of the business make decisions based on informed insights that enhance our customer experience and improve business performance.
At Grainger, you will be working with best-in-class data scientists and AI experts with very diverse backgrounds and strong technical expertise. Our team’s mission is to use multiple different technology platforms to build data-driven cutting-edge solutions and capabilities using machine learning and big data with a focus on Predictive Analytics, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, as well as other relevant areas.
As a Statistical Analyst Intern you will apply these techniques using a wealth of internal and external data to develop insights which inform and influence customer-facing investment decisions while also learning about the role an analytics department plays within an organization.
From optimizing returns from marketing investments, to sales force strategy, and real time product recommendations, the work from this position has a profound impact on the organization through the development of analytical work that influences overall company strategy and enhances the success of tactical initiatives.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone with strong technical and problem-solving skills and is intellectually curious in identifying and resolving those problems. In addition, making decisions and assumptions in route to finding a solution while demonstrating the ability to understand the implications of those decisions and assumptions. The candidate should be able to work both independently and in larger teams. Finally, strong communication skills are needed to be able to articulate why findings are reasonable and the implications those findings have for the business.
- Plan, execute, and effectively communicate the results of critical analyses focused on several of our key investments
- Leverage market, customer, and other information to identify patterns, trends, and insights which are actionable and beneficial to the organization
- Utilize analytical techniques to quantify results of current business activities and project future results based on business and leadership decisions
- Research and recommend innovative solutions to a wide array of business problems using statistics and mathematics
- Preferably pursing a degree in Analytics, Predictive Analytics, Data Science, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, or related field
- Master’s degree is preferred
- Expected graduation with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree between Winter 2021 – Spring 2022
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Ability to obtain, explore, and interpret data
- Knowledge of basic statistical methods
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent communication skills
- Intellectual curiosity
- Experience with SPSS, R, SAS, Python, Spark, or other statistical programming language
- Ability to visualize data in R, Python, Tableau, or Excel
- Knowledge of SQL
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.