This position will report to the Director, Accounting & Taxes and manage, develop and provide leadership to the financial reporting accounting team. This position is responsible for the proper maintenance of company records and the timely communication of financial information to management and regulatory agencies. Provides leadership and support to all members of the Accounting and Finance Department.
- Commitment to applying the Guiding Principles in daily work, decision making and management.
- Develop and coach a team to perform the accounting and tax function, ensuring accuracy and quality.
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with other Accounting and Finance Department Managers and assist VP and Directors in leadership of the department.
- Acquire and maintain a working knowledge of insurance accounting as provided by the State Department of Insurance.
- Assure that monthly financial balancing and reporting of all financial results are completed within time frames established.
- Develop, maintain and document accounting and budgeting controls, procedures, workflow and reporting to ensure efficient and consistent applications of accounting functions.
- Train and evaluate supervised personnel.
- Analyze and solve problems.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Planning of future projects (manual or computerized). This is done in conjunction with the Director, Accounting & Taxes and requires the approval of the Vice President of Accounting.
- Special assignments as directed.
- Regular, predictable attendance as employee must physically be in the office.
- This list of essential functions is non-exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Research accounting rules and regulations and make recommendations regarding company policy regarding these matters.
- Develops integrated revenue/expense analyses, projections, reports and presentations.
- Identifies trends and developments and presents findings to management.
- Audits of financial transactions.
- Monthly reviews and audits of all financial data.
- Oversees balancing installations, and distribution of financial, budget and expense systems (GL, Budget) and reporting.
- Write procedures and control documentation on supervised functions as needed.
- Check procedures and controls periodically.
- Monitor processes to help identify efficiencies to be made.
- Oversees Novusphere Holdings 1943 LLC and subsidiaries financial statement preparation and consolidation, reporting and account reconciliation.
- Oversees accounting applications and systems used by the financial reporting area.
- Maintain reinsurance assumed and ceded reports pertaining to receipts and disbursements.
- Oversees tangible tax reporting.
- Assists external auditors.
- Assist in special projects.
- Physical demands: Public speaking; grasping; sitting; standing; stooping; walking; reading; writing; normal vision/hearing with or without correction.
- Mental demands: Prolonged concentration; analytic reasoning; able to handle multiple assignments under time pressure; able to handle conflict situations.
- Environmental factors: Standard office lighting, temperature, and noise.
- Equipment: Telephone; keyboard (computer/typewriter); shredder; copier; calculator; fax.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field; graduate degree or professional certification (CPA) is preferred.
- Minimum four years of experience in Accounting required; prior management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflow and priorities.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Effective problem solver with sense of urgency.
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).