Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. Customers come to us for fashion, value, and high-quality products. Macy’s is also known for our love of celebration and giving back to our communities. There’s a reason we’ve been around for 160 years. Now is an exciting time to join Macy’s. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation. We have a history of re-invention and are always looking forward.
Macy’s offers recent college graduates a concentrated mix of hands-on experience, education, and encouragement. We will help you build upon what you learned in college to create a bright career future. As a Macy’s colleague, you’ll have endless possibilities to grow your career while finding meaningful ways to make a difference. So, come join us and share your unique contribution. You’ll make an impact you, and everyone else can be proud of.
For us, it’s more than just a job, we are all part of the Macy’s family. From stores to call centers. From offices to warehouses. Wherever you may be working, you are important to our success. We’re all in this together!
The Macy’s 8-week summer internship program in Inventory Management provides exposure to analytical projects, Supply Chain initiatives, and daily department activities. The Inventory Management team is responsible for driving inventory productivity by optimizing allocation and replenishment strategies that ensure the right product (down to the SKU level) is delivered to the right store at the right time in the right amount. This team is highly analytical, and system driven, while also influential to assortment and financial planning decisions. The Inventory Management team owns the day-to-day execution of product allocation and replenishment based on the pre-season plan and in-season adjustment based on trend.
Macy’s summer internship program provides interns with a hands-on and in-depth understanding of a core business function in retail. Interns have opportunities to directly impact the business as a key part of a team and by sharing new ideas. Macy’s interns experience everything our culture has to offer through exposures to senior leaders, professional development workshops, and networking opportunities. The internship program may lead to an opportunity to work full-time with Macy’s in our early careers program after graduation.
The 2021 summer internship program will be a completely VIRTUAL experience. On-the-job learning, networking opportunities, leadership exposures, team projects, and professional development workshops will be conducted using remote technology. Interns will not be required to relocate to New York City where Macy’s headquarters is located. The program will begin in June.
- Receive professional development through a combination of hands-on learning, structured workshops, and collaborative projects
- Build relationships with other interns, business leaders, and team colleagues
- Execute day-to-day allocation activities, support replenishment activities
- Develop understanding of financial performance metrics and assortment planning
- Conduct analysis to support inventory strategy (e.g. hold & flow, multiple shipments)
- Utilize analysis tools to increase sales, maximize inventory productivity, and minimize markdowns
- Support Inventory Manager to gather key inputs for demand forecasting and inventory optimization
- Allocate fashion inventory, through central fulfillment based on need
- Operate systems within inventory guidelines to develop orders and financial planning inputs.
- Support in-season replenishment forecasts, identify inventory risks and opportunities
- Support identification of opportunities for improvement in allocation and replenishment business processes
- Aptitude to function within deadlines, while working both independently and as part of a team
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality
Qualifications and Competencies:
· Junior status (rising Senior at the time of the internship), pursuing a Bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance
- Minimum 3.0 GPA preferred
- All majors will be considered for this opportunity
· Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to influence others. Strong storytelling and presentation skills
· Ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as reports and procedure manuals
- Must have excellent mathematical skills.
- Ability to apply concepts of profitability and statistical inference to practical situations
- Readily grasp numerical concepts and interpret financial information accurately
- Ability to utilize retail math skills to analyze and drive business
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize broad workload to meet deadlines in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Ability to think through problems and apply strategies to solve
- Ability to multitask and collaborate cross functionally with multiple internal and external business partners
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong trend and pattern recognition skills
- Basic understanding of financial performance metrics and assortment planning
- Proficient in Microsoft Office – advanced proficiency in Excel (VLOOKUP, pivot tables, macros, advanced formulas, etc.) is a plus
- Run and interpret reports and operate system tools as assigned by supervisor
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building abilities
- Ability to streamline processes
- Exhibits high standards and accountability; takes pride in accuracy
- High aptitude; process information quickly with ability to offer solutions to challenges with strong decision making skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage across all levels
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.
Click here to enter text.
· Requires prolonged periods of sitting, with occasional standing
· Occasionally requires walking, bending, reaching, hearing and talking
· Continuous use of computers and other office equipment
· Frequently lift/move up to 10 lbs.
This job description is not all inclusive; additionally, Macy’s, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. – including Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, and Blue Mercury – is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.