Accounting Interns are undergraduate or graduate students who are working toward their degrees while gaining a practical experience in the accounting profession. Interns perform essentially the same duties as staff accountants. These duties include financial statement preparation, auditing, tax preparation, and tax law. Work is performed under close supervision for the benefit of the employee and our clients.
Tasks may include:
- Portions of audit and accounting engagements
- Preparation of some business and personal tax returns
- Other tasks assigned by supervisor
- Complete tasks on a timely basis
- Identify problem areas in the engagement that need to be discussed with a supervisor
- Develop effective written and oral communication skills with all tasks
- Recognize how assigned tasks will affect final work product and to understand the ‘big picture’
- Stay current on all professional pronouncements such as SFAS, SAS, GAAS
- Follow regulations and professional ethics of the AICPA and state societies
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism of the firm
- Follow firm procedures as outlined in the policy manual
- Perform well in school
- Participate in extracurricular activities
- Participate in Monroe Shine sponsored continuing professional education sessions
Monroe Shines prides itself on fostering a team-oriented environment where every employee works for the firm, not just a particular supervisor. Accordingly, we ask all employees to act in the best interests of the firm, even if doing so requires actions or responsibilities not listed in the above job description. We look to our employees to take the initiative so that we always serve our clients and each other to the best of our abilities.
Every year we look to bring on new interns for both of our office locations in New Albany, IN and Louisville, KY. We typically like to see which office makes the most sense for the interns to work out of. Accounting Interns are only asked to work 40 hours a week, Monday through Friday 8 am – 5 pm. We do not require Interns to work overtime.
Find great tips on the job hunt, resume writing, interviewing and hear first hand from our interns and staff on what their experiences at Monroe Shine have been like by checking out our —> recruiting blog!