The Accounting and Finance Development Program provides Associates with high visibility within the Finance organization, as well as numerous opportunities to develop their career. The objective of the program is to develop and grow the Associate’s financial and business acumen, as well as the leadership skills necessary to prepare them for a Director role in the Finance organization upon successful completion of the Program.
Features of the Program
- The program consists of 3-4 cross functional job rotations within the Finance organization, and occasionally in other business units.
- Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-24 months depending on the role, complexity, and business needs.
- Finance rotations may include, but are not limited to, Accounting, Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Planning, Risk, Tax, Internal Audit and Corporate Finance.
- Participants will be rigorously assessed after each cross functional rotation before moving onto the next phase of the program.
Learning and Development
- This program includes a training and development component that occurs throughout the program. The training is focused on growing your business acumen, financial acumen, and leadership skills.
- Participants will be assigned a leadership mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individual professional growth through personalized development plans.
- Also, as an integral part of this Program, Associates will be expected to assume an active role in managing important aspects of the business related to their specific rotational assignment.
- Associates are required to pursue and complete a relevant Accounting or Finance credential (CPA or CFA) prior to finishing the program. To support Associates on their credential path, the Accounting and Finance Development Program provides the Associates with paid study hours, exam materials, and exam registration fees.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully complete 3-4 rotations as in various parts of the Finance organization and broader business units; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines.
- Demonstrate commitment to career development and growing financial acumen by pursuing a relevant Finance credential (CPA or CFA).
- Participate in regular monthly/quarterly financial cycle.
- Maintain integrity of data in various systems and data assets that support the specific financial areas (e.g. accounting, planning, and administrative systems).
- Prepare, verify, reconcile, and balance accounts related to the specific financial area to maintain control and accuracy over accounting and reporting by identifying discrepancies and their cause and recommendations for corrective action.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify areas for effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Prepare more complex financial analysis for designated area and develop quality analysis that informs decision making
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge and anticipating issues and demonstrate ownership of assigned tasks or processes.
- Make recommendations regarding the process of creating the assigned complex analytics as well as recommendations regarding the results of the analytics.
- Maintain various systems and data assets that support the specific financial areas (e.g. accounting, planning, and administrative systems). Assumes ownership of the data in the system or assets related to the assigned analysis.
- Maintain a specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unum’s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management.
- Work on and/or lead special projects that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or other equivalent relevant specialty with minimum GPA 3.0 or higher
- 0 to 2+ years of Accounting experience or equivalent relevant work experience
- Must be CPA Eligible or have an active plan to pursue CFA
- Basic understanding of the components of multiple financial statements and how they interact with one other
- Ability to act as a change agent by responding quickly and positively to change, and socializing change with others
- Developing customer service/teamwork skills within job area.
- Highly motivated individual able to take direction from managers and developing skills to solve problems with little guidance from managers.
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects keeping track of and meeting due dates.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills related to job.
- Basic to intermediate Excel Skills
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience preferred
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- Exhibit customer service skills in working with functional area team and other resources to complete assigned work.
- We seek highly motivated individuals with the intellectual curiosity to keep up with the fast pace, ever changing accounting environment. Our associates are inclusive leaders who are change agents in the work they do. They are self-starting individuals who enjoy collaboration, deliver innovative results, and possess effective communication skills.